Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Fearless - Taylor Swift





Album: Fearless Artist: Taylor Swift Record Label: Big Machine Records, 2008
Review:  What an incredible album!  Taylor Swift is talented and creative. This is her second album and a follow-up to her self-titled album, Taylor Swift. She wrote or co-wrote all 13 of the songs on this album. Lyrics are important in a song.  Swift uses the words to paint poignant and real life scenes that evoke emotions in the listener.  Her honesty is present - these are scenes she has lived, not invented.  Her songs are dominated by the subject of love in many forms - mostly romantic, but parents love for their children, a love for a sibling and the love for a friend.  My favorite song on the album is “Fifteen”.  This song is a story of starting high school, best friends, first love, popularity, betrayal and freedom - all in ONE song!  She sings “In your life you'll do things greater, Than dating the boy on the football team, But I didn't know it at fifteen” “'Cause when you're fifteen and, Somebody tells you they love you, You're gonna believe them.”  This song has  every chance of becoming an anthem for a generation of girls like Janis Ian’s “At Seventeen.”  The first hit single from this album is “Love Story” and Swift weaves the story of Romeo and Juliet into a modern tale of a boy and girl drawn to each other and lacking parental approval and she sings “"Romeo, save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel. This love is difficult, but it's real.”  On “The Best Day” Taylor has crafted a beautiful tribute to her mother who has obviously loved and supported her.     What mother wouldn’t love to hear their daughter sing “I know you were on my side even when I was wrong, And I love you for giving me your eyes, Staying back and watching me shine, and I didn't know if you knew, So I'm taking this chance to say that I had the best day with you today”  Taylor Swift is 18 years old and she has what it takes to be performing for many years. I own this album. My daughter owns this album. Tweens who can listen, will be guided, entertained, and inspired by every song on this album.  Share this with a tween and you might just open up their heart.
Genre: Country, Pop
Interest Level: Ages 12 and up.
Awards:  Grammy Award, Album of the Year, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment