Monday, April 25, 2011

Breakout - Miley Cyrus





Album: Breakout Artist: Miley Cyrus Record Label: Hollywood Records, 2008
Review:  Perhaps wanting to distance herself from her Disney Channel role of Hannah Montana, Miley Cyrus cranks it up on this album.  I appreciate the fact that Cyrus co-wrote eight of the twelve songs on this album. Tweens may be inspired by the creative expression demonstrated by this young performer (sixteen when she released this album). Typical teen themes run through the songs; school, romance, emotions, growing up. The song “Wake Up America” encourages tweens to take responsibility and explore environmental issues; “Wake up America, We're all in this together, It's our home so let's take care of it, And everything you do matters.”  Sounding a little “edgy” and similar to Brittany Spears on the hit single "Fly On The Wall", Miley sings, “A little communication, Well that'll go a long way, You're getting misinformation, Too much hearsay, hearsay” will have tweens identifying with gossip which too often swirls in the tween world.  Another hit single is “7 Things”.  This song captures tween romantic relationships and the emotional, contradictory feelings. She sings, “The 7 things I hate about you, You're vain, your games, you're insecure, You love me, you like her
You make me laugh, you make me cry” and then in the same song, “The 7 things I like about you, Your hair, your eyes, your old Levi's, When we kiss,You make me laugh, you make me cry, Your hand in mine.”  Tweens have already embraced Miley Cyrus in great numbers.  These songs would get tweens moving at the middle school dance. This is another artist that I would not normally seek out, but I am impressed with her talent and recommend “Breakout”.
Genre: Pop rock, Pop
Interest Level: Ages 8 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment