Saturday, April 23, 2011

My Worlds Acoustic - Justin Bieber



Album: My Worlds Acoustic Artist: Justin Bieber Record Label: Island, RBMG, 2010
Review:  I had to go out of my comfort zone for this music.  I specifically sought out an artist/album who appeals to the younger tweens.  I had not listened to Bieber’s music prior to this album, but I had certainly heard of “Bieber Fever.”  I have to acknowledge, after listening, the young man (17 years old) has talent. This particular album is a compilation of songs from his previous two albums and is featuring Justin playing acoustic guitar on all of the 10 songs.  My understanding is that when an artist releases an “acoustic” album, all of the instruments are acoustic.  This is not the case with this album, there are plenty of electric instruments being played, but they do not hinder the performance.  All of the songs are extremely listenable - good beat, good rhythm, good pace, excellent vocals.  Lyrics are always important to me (and probably are to parents of tweens) and should be to the tweens listening as well.  The lyrics in this album match the clean cut “teen heart throb” image that Justin has (not incorrectly) been labeled with. He is listed as a co-writer on 7 of the 10 songs. The first three songs on the album are love songs which is predictable, but the are hopeful and positive and I imagine igniting dreams in many tween girls.  “down to Earth” appears to be a positive appeal to mend the stress of parent-child conflicts. (What tween hasn’t experienced that?) ”So it's up to you and it's up to me That we meet in the middle on our way back down to Earth” Songs 5 through 8 are more songs where Justin declares his adoration for, comparisons to Romeo and Juliet and sadness over loss of his girl.  “Never Say Never” is the theme song from the movie “The Karate Kid” and encourages us to never give up, face challenges with courage, find yourself, and fight for what you believe in.  In the final song “Pray” Justin expands his themes to world hunger, homelessness and war. It seems sincere when he sings “I close my eyes and I can see a better day, I close my eyes and pray, Oh, I got a vision to make a difference. And it's starting today.”  Great positive messages, dreams of first love, and good music gets my high recommendation.
Genre: Pop, R&B
Interest Level: Ages 7 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment