Tuesday, May 3, 2011

You Are Not Alone - Teens Talk About Life After the Loss of a Parent by Lynne B. Hughes


You Are Not Alone: Teens Talk About Life After the Loss of a Parent. by Lynne B. Hughes. Scholastic Press, 2005. 192 pages.
Review/Personal thoughts:  Not every tween will need this book, but for that special group, the one’s who have lost a parent, this is an extremely valuable read.  The author is credibly qualified to write on the topic because both of her parents died, her mother when she was nine and her father when she was twelve. The grieving process is complex, but one common thread among all children who have lost a parent is the feeling of being terribly alone. It is this common thread that Hughes has used as a foundation to share her story and provide a space for children to share theirs.  She is the founder and director of Comfort Zone Camp for grieving children. Much of the book is a collection of the children’s voices while at the camp as they try to give meaning to, learn to cope with and share about their parent’s deaths. These are powerful words.  “Not only did I lose my dad, I lost my best friend, my mentor, my teacher, my history, his secrets. I lost all the things a dad teaches a son.”  “Some people say you stop grieving after five, ten or fifteen years, but the truth is it never stops hurting.” “ If I could say one more thing, I’d just reiterate how much I love him and thank him for doing the things that nobody else in my life does. I’d tell him how much these things meant to me and that I’ll never ever forget.” 
The book covers many aspects that one might never consider when they haven’t lost a parent; feeling different from others, how home changes, what helps, how to move forward. The emotions stirred in me when I read this book were powerful enough to bring me to tears.  I cannot comprehend the depth of sorrow these children endure. This book offers compassionate support and resources for children who have had a parent die.
Genre: Non-Fiction
Reading Level: 6.2 Interest level: Ages 12 and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment